ENGAGE YOUR PLANET
Another part of preparing a 7-day Alaska sailing with Holland America Line for Oprah’s Share The Adventure Cruise: reflecting on the experience post-cruise. Sharing our previous travel experiences on other cruise lines, one part of the process is crystal clear: you just can’t get enough and we’re good with that. Here then is a complete list of what we saw and did via a variety of social sharing platforms along with the official press release about this special sailing from Holland America Line- just to be sure we did not miss any part of it in our coverage.
Keep The Oprah Magic Going
Official #tags and accounts we for this event: Subscribe to our #OMAGonHAL Twitter List for all the latest tweets, as they are posted. I plan on following these same twitter accounts well into the future.
- @HALcruises– Holland America Line, aHere to help you explore the world
- @O_Magazine- O, The Oprah Magazine, information and inspiration so that you can live your best life
- @Oprah- Oprah Winfrey, well, you know
- @GayleKing- Gayle King, co-host of CBSThisMorning and Editor at Large of O, The Oprah Magazine.
- @TheRealAdamSays- Adam Glassman, Creative Director of O, The Oprah Magazine
- @LucyKaylin- Lucy Kaylin, Editor in Chief at O, The Oprah Magazine
- @LeighHaber– Leigh Haber, O Mag books editor
- @LizStrout– Elizabeth Strout, Pulitzer Prize-winning author
- @India.Arie– India.Aire, Artist & Explorer
- @ElettraW- Elettra Wiedemann, Founder: Impatient Foodie
- @GlennonDoyle– Glennon Doyle- Author, Founder: MOMASTERY
- @shapewithangela– Angela Davis, Motivational Coach, Fitness Evangelist
- @ritarudner– Rita Rudner- Comedian, author, actress, mom.
Worth A Thousand Words
Flickr Photo Albums- just photos, no words: over 1500 images we captured, free to share and use as you wish with attribution.
- Travel Day- Making my way from Orlando to Seattle then on to the ship. Strongly suggested: one of the few non-stop flights available if booked far enough in advance.
- Oprah’s Share The Adventure Guide– a complete overview of new programming introduced on our sailing to already engaging Holland America Line programming.
- The Port of Seattle- The convenient cruise port where we begin and end our voyage. Pier 91 is the farther away from the airport option. Pier 66 is closer. Pier 91 enables more of a view of the city on the way to the ship.
- Seattle Embarkation- getting on the ship in Seattle then going directly to our staterooms, all of which were ready upon our arrival. A huge factor for those of us who travel with carry on luggage only and refuse to let anyone else handle it.
- America’s Test Kitchen comes to sea on Holland America Line bringing new life to the Culinary Arts Center
- Angela Davis– Fitness Evangelist gets Holland America travelers up out of their seats for an inspiring at sea work out
- Just Breathe- Holland America travelers start the day the right way with meaningful meditations and daily intentions
- Eurodam Open Decks- random photos from around the ship in no apparent order
- Holland America Line Room Service- Simply some of the best in the business and one feature I rarely have enough time to explore. Kudos for offering a taste of specialty restaurants in a boxed lunch sort of way delivered to your stateroom.
- Stateroom 4158- a nicely-appointed standard Verandah stateroom, typical of others on ms Eurodam and the rest of the Holland America fleet. Special treat: recently retrofitted to include lots of USB ports
- Holland America Crew– random shots of crew members going about their day
- Seen At Sea- random images of other ships and interesting thing we saw while sailing
- Juneau Alaska– seen with Holland America Line where we got off the ship to hunt for bear
- O’s Book Club- a new feature on Holland America Line ships, an onboard version of Oprah’s book club highlights one of the most common cruise activities that, up until now, had nothing to do with the cruise line.
- Glaciers- We spent a day slow sailing to glaciers then paused at each to examine them further. Oddly, the feeling is much like the experience of going through a full transit of the Panama Canal.
- Hunting For Bear- we went by plane to hunt for bear in remote places where we saw no other humans as far as the eye could see. We did see a bear though.
- O-Specific Content- flyers, handouts, keepsakes collected during the Oprah’s Share The Adventure Cruise
- Sel de Mer- Chef Rudi Sodamin’s pop-up restaurant appearing once on each 7-day cruise
- Alaska Sunrise- not a big of a deal on an Alaska cruise as they are more difficult to capture
- Ketchikan- The place for totem pole lovers and shoppers
- Adam Glassman shows us trendy cruise wear, available in onboard O-shop
- Tamarind Bento Box– specialty dinner venue delivered to your stateroom
- Oprah On The Menu- one item per day, featured in the buffet area
- Oprah Appears- a conversation with Oprah on the ship’s main stage
- Eurodam- exterior photos
Facebook Photo Albums- much like Flickr Photo Albums, the Facebook version features a story and select photos that illustrate the topic, tour or onboard event.
YouTube Video Added To Our Collection– (courtesy of Holland America Line)
- Oprah’s Message About The Power Of Travel
- A Conversation With Oprah
- Holland America Line’s ms Eurodam In Seattle
- Holland America Eurodam Sailing Away
Pinterest – A selection of photos about our trip to Alaska with Holland America Line
- Alaska With Holland America Line– the experience on any Holland America Alaska sailing
- Oprah’s Alaska Adventure Cruise-content exclusive to the Oprah partnership
ChrisCruises- The blog posts, one a day, as we traveled.
Pre-Cruise Posts– context for what we are about to share with you
- Holland America Today: Start Here
- Holland America Oprah Partnership A Perfect Match
- Holland America + Oprah Alaska Cruise Details
- Literally, Anything Is Possible On A Cruise
- Once Nearing Extinction, Cruise Ship Libraries Are Back
- Oprah Might Deliver Next Step In Cruise Travel Evolution
- Customizing Your Packing List To Cruise Alaska
The Main Event- posts with content sourced at the scene
- TKO: Oprah Takes On Cruising, Wins In First Round
- The Collectively Intelligent Cruise Cake Gets Iced
- Omazing Alaska
- Oprah Infusion A Solid Win For Cruise Travelers
- Oprah Cruising: Intelligently Applied, Seasoned To Perfection
- The Murky Land Of Dinner Attire On A Cruise
- Alaska Adventure Cruise: One From Each Place
Chris On CruiseFever
- Cabin Location Tips for Cruises to Alaska
- Caribbean Cruise Packing List Tweaked For Alaska
- Things To Know About Cruises To Alaska
The Official Press Release From Holland America Line
Holland America Line and O, The Oprah Magazine Share the Adventure Cruise set sail from Seattle to Alaska on July 15, 2017, bringing together some of the world’s foremost visionaries for a week of O-mazing talks and activities aboard ms Eurodam.
Throughout the week guests took part in morning meditation with yoga instructor Sara Ivanhoe and explored eating well with Impatient Foodie founder Elettra Wiedemann. O, The Oprah Magazine editor in chief Lucy Kaylin and editor at large Gayle King shared a peek behind the scenes of the award-winning magazine,explaining how they bring the pages to life. Kaylin, books editor Leigh Haber and Pulitzer Prize-winner and New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Strout led the first O’s Reading Room discussion about Strout’s latest novel, “Anything is Possible.” Creative director Adam Glassman shared fashion trends and practical styling tips on how to dress your best
Three SuperSoul 100 members brought an incredible energy onboard with their motivating and memorable stories. Guests journeyed into the worlds of fitness evangelist and motivational coach Angela Davis; best-selling author andMomastery.com founder Glennon Doyle; and singer, songwriter and storyteller India.Arie.
Oprah Winfrey Presents on The Main Stage: After viewing scenic Glacier Bay, Oprah Winfrey took to Eurodam’s Main Stage to host A Conversation with Oprah. Speaking at two full-house engagements, Winfrey shared her journey to success, her self-proclaimed Year of Adventure and the desire for this cruise to be the start of something meaningful for those on board. “Your life is
magnificent in the way that it has unfolded just for you,” Winfrey told guests. “You want and I want to live the highest, truest expression of yourself as a human being.” King later joined Winfrey on stage for a candid and entertaining chat while answering audience questions.
The Making of O with Lucy Kaylin and Gayle King: King and Kaylin took guests behind the scenes of O, The Oprah Magazine. They spoke about how the magazine came to be 17 years ago and shared some of Oprah Winfrey’s favorite (and not so favorite) covers. Videos took guests into the publication’s office in New York, showed a day in the life of King and introduced some of the editorial staff.
SuperSoul 100 Member Angela Davis: Fitness evangelist Davis had guests on their feet and moving to her empowering words during a spiritually enriching performance. The SuperSoul 100 member made emotional connections while promoting change from within with inspiring mantras including “Stop cheating your future with your past” and “What’s in front of you is greater than what’s behind you.”
SuperSoul 100 Member India.Arie: Grammy Award-winning singer, songwriter and self-proclaimed soulbird India.Arie took to The Main Stage for her SongVersation performance that intertwined the power of words with the power of song. Her mantra, “Break down, break through, break the shell, elevate and fly,” resonated through her music as she shared stories of her path in life and moved guests to find peace in their daily lives.
SuperSoul 100 Member Glennon Doyle: Love Warrior Doyle took guests on an enlightening journey through her life that led from addiction to recovery and how she became a voice for universal truth. With her belief that we’re all here for one reason, and that is to love and be loved, Doyle’s expressed profound sentiments including “We do not get evicted from a life unless there is a truer life that we’re supposed to walk into.”
Love That! with Adam Glassman: In partnership with Chico’s, Glassman hosted a style presentation on The Main Stage that revealed his tips, tricks and secrets for essential pieces that everyone needs in their closet. Following the talk, Glassman met guests in the ship’s retail shops where he shopped with them, offering advice on the fashions that work best for each person.
O’s Reading Room with Elizabeth Strout: Throughout the week Kaylin, Haber and Strout led the first O’s Reading Room aboard Holland America Line, with discussions about Strout’s latest novel, “Anything is Possible.” She talked of her childhood in Maine and how it influenced her writing, offering advice to aspiring writers.
Let’s Breathe! with Sara Ivanhoe: Early each morning, Ivanhoe led more than 200 guests on a path of yoga and meditation around the Lido Pool. Her daily intentions encouraged guests to become present with themselves and those around them.
Let’s Eat! with Elettra Wiedemann: Impatient Foodie founder Wiedemann revealed her path to healthy eating as a model looking to find foods that she enjoyed. Whether offering an alternative to pasta or a red meat substitute, Wiedemann aspires to teach people how to make mouth-watering food in buzz-feed time.
“The first cruise in our partnership with O, The Oprah Magazine was tremendous; the energy and inspirational atmosphere on Eurodam was felt by all and truly something special,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “The incredible caliber of talent and performances on the Share the Adventure cruise exceeded expectations and we leave this week with a lifetime of memories and lessons on how to live your best life.”
The July 15 cruise was the first of several special cruises with Holland America Line and O, The Oprah Magazine. Four additional Adventure of Your Life cruises with SuperSoul 100 Members (to be announced) will set sail as follows:
- November 29, 2017 – 11-Day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale on ms Koningsdam
- March 3, 2018 – 7-Day Tropical Caribbean roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale on ms Nieuw Amsterdam
- August 11, 2018 – 7-Day Alaska roundtrip from Seattle on ms Eurodam
- October 28, 2018 – 7-Day Eastern Caribbean roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale on ms Nieuw Amsterdam
In addition, more than 300 Holland America Line cruises sailing from North America from August 2017 through 2018 will offer a variety of engaging activities developed with the magazine’s editors and designed to nourish body and soul.
About Holland America Line [a division of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE: CCL and CUK)]
Holland America Line’s fleet of 14 ships offers more than 500 cruises to more than 400 ports in 98 countries, territories or dependencies around the world. From shorter getaways to 113-day itineraries, the company’s cruises visit all seven continents, with highlights including Antarctica explorations, South America circumnavigations and exotic Australia/New Zealand and Asia voyages; four annual Grand Voyages; and popular sailings to the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Bermuda, Europe and the Panama Canal. The line welcomed ms Koningsdam in 2016 and has a second Pinnacle-class ship, ms Nieuw Statendam, to be delivered in December 2018. A third Pinnacle-class ship, due for delivery in 2021, recently was announced.
The company is undergoing $300 million in brand enhancements to secure its position as the leader in premium cruising. Fleetwide, the ships feature innovative initiatives and a diverse range of enriching experiences focused on destination immersion and personalized travel. Guests can expand their knowledge through an exclusive partnership with O, The Oprah Magazine; during an America’s Test Kitchen show; at Explorations Café presented by The New York Times; and by taking a Digital Workshop powered by Windows. Outstanding entertainment fills each evening at venues including Lincoln Center Stage, Billboard Onboard and B.B. King’s Blues Club. The dining experience can be savored at a variety of restaurants with menus that feature selections from Holland America Line’s esteemed Culinary Council comprising world-famous chefs who design dishes exclusively for our guests.
About O, The Oprah Magazine
O, The Oprah Magazine (oprah.com/omagazine) encourages confident, intelligent women to reach for their dreams, express their individual style and make wise choices, guided by the values of one of the most charismatic women in the world, O editorial director Oprah Winfrey. With an emphasis on personal growth, the magazine inspires, addressing every aspect of a woman’s life — the material, the intellectual and the emotional — and deeply connects with more than 18 million consumers every month (MRI, Spring 2016, Comscore multi-platform, December 2016). From the moment it launched, O, The Oprah Magazine carved out a unique position in the marketplace and created an entirely new category in women’s magazines, delivering the Live Your Best Life message through thoughtful, ever-evolving content and the trusted advice provided by well-known experts. Throughout the years, O, The Oprah Magazine has been recognized with the publishing industry’s highest honor, winning multiple American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) awards. Follow O, The Oprah Magazine on Twitter @O_Magazine and Instagram at @OprahMagazine.
O, The Oprah Magazine is a co-venture between Harpo Print, LLC and Hearst Magazines, a unit of Hearst, one of the nation’s largest diversified media and information companies. With 21 titles in the U.S., Hearst is the leading publisher of monthly magazines in terms of total paid circulation (AAM 2H 2016), reaching 77 million readers (Fall 2016 MRI/GfK) and 80 million site visitors each month (comScore), with a social media following of 117 million.