Winding down our 10-night sailing of Crystal Serenity, we stopped in Canada‘s Magdalen Islands at Iles de la Madeleine, a tiny port with a rich history. It was a short call at the place named after the seigneur (think ‘landlord’) of the archipelago in 1663. On a blustery fall day, we tendered on to the island and walked over to shipyard where fishing and recreational ships of various sized had been pulled out of the ocean for the season.
Starting out on this fall foliage-themed sailing with Crystal Cruises, we were looking for any signs of color possible, zooming in on small patches of golden or crimson leaves that we saw along the way. Very quickly though, that theme was overcome with a focus on history that is undeniable in this part of the world. From seeing the places where thousands of immigrants came to North America in centuries past to visiting the urban areas of major cities along the way, history would have been a huge part of the experience, fall colors or not.
All along the way, especially during our stops in Canadian ports, I could not help but think of our friend Phil Reimer the cruise authority for Postmedia and canada.com who writes a weekly column in all major daily Postmedia papers and blogs at Ports And Bows. At this particular stop on our Crystal Cruises itinerary we were in port and there were plenty of bows. No trees or vegetation to speak of that might change colors but plenty of ships.
Initially wondering “So why did we stop here?”, we walked from the tender port to the shipyard and captured these images captured during our stop in the Magdalen Islands to share with you.
Stay tuned for more live via Instagram, Facebook and Twitter as we explore Crystal Cruises for the first time and make our way from Boston to Quebec City on a 10-day Autumn’s Palette itinerary. See all our blog posts on Crystal Cruises too.
Catch up here with these posts:
At ChrisCruises.com, in itinerary order:
- Riot Of Color Or Subtle Change, Crystal Fall Foliage Cruise Will Be Epic
- Crystal Cruises First Impressions: Absolutely Blown Away
- Crystal Cruises Adventures, On And Off The Ship
- Themed Moderation On Crystal Cruises
- Crystal Cruises, Saint John, Built On A Rock Solid Foundation
- An Outstanding Day In Halifax with Crystal Cruises
- Your Crystal Cruises Questions (sort of) Answered
Facebook Photo Albums:
- Our First Day On Crystal Cruises
- My Crystal Story
- Crystal Cruises Room Service
- Bar Harbor, Maine with Crystal Cruises
- Crystal Cruises Visits Saint John, New Brunswick
- Halifax, Nova Scotia with Crystal Cruises