To have a great cruise sailing experience, travelers need to be closely matched with four factors. The right cruise line, a good ship with appropriate features, an itinerary that they can get excited about and accommodations they will feel comfortable living in. Get all four of those basic variables right and the odds of enjoying a quality travel experience anywhere in the world are quite favorable. To put that good experience over the top, knowing details of the actual onboard experience, getting an idea of the typical passengers we might encounter then detailing other areas of interest to cruise travelers can bring a match made in heaven. Coming soon to the Caribbean, a part of the world quite familiar to most North American cruise traveler, Viking Star looks to hit all those requirements and more. It’s an entry into the pool of Caribbean choices we’re very excited about, for a number of reasons, beginning with Viking Star base features.
The name ‘Viking’ evokes a good feeling here at ChrisCruises.com, derived initially from our experiences on Viking River Cruises. In a way, Viking Ocean Cruises came with a bit of pre-sold credit without even seeing new Viking Star. After sailing Viking Ocean cruise ships multiple times, we can verify: they are all they were advertised to be. Looking back to the announcement of the new cruise line at 2013 a gala Beverly Hills event, Viking Chairman Torstein Hagan set a clear goal for the new effort.
“There is a hole in the market somebody should fill,’ said Hagen “I feel we invented modern river cruising. Now I hope we can revive the destination part of ocean cruising.”
That vision has been made reality with a variety of textures, design elements and unique spaces that we have not seen on any other ship. Start with tactile Viking Star’s exterior spaces and the difference is clear. Very present: open deck space with wraparound/walk around ability enabled for travelers who enjoy that feature. But here is where Viking Star goes further.
Destination Focused? Might As Well Go There In Style, Don’t You Think
Indeed, Viking Star, Viking Sea and upcoming sister ships are sized right for a destination focused ocean cruise line. This is not new ground to cover for Viking, already deep into destinations with their Viking longships river cruise options. Still, more than a nicely-sized ship, what puts Viking Star over the top and into a category all its own are design elements of the ship itself.
Take a walk around to consider Viking Star base features on an outer deck and we see living room style arrangements of deck chairs, tables, chaise lounges and other typical deck furnishings. Mixed in, a variety of unique design elements ranging from rock sculptures to interesting potted grasses, abundant outdoor dining spaces and more. Viking has moved the inside experience outside, in a number of ways.
What looks to be normally-inside exercise equipment is on deck and will probably be used more in the Caribbean than it has in other parts of the world.
Attractive and comfortable lounge chairs featuring a variety of textile elements sit exposed to the elements, begging passersby to stop dead in their tracks and enjoy the day, right there. Walking around, I weave through these areas, enjoying a more interesting time on deck. Add people, like-minded travelers with a similar background and these spaces come to life.
It’s the nicely curated mix of tactile elements that make up Viking Star base features and elevates this part of the ship to a new, different level that is unlike any other ship sailing. We see that same focus inside Viking Star in an even more pronounced way. That’s next as we continue to work through the process of defining Viking Star in the .
Follow Along On Our Countdown To The Caribbean
All of the above is long on providing an end definition for what Viking Star is offering but short on details of how they get there. Take a look back through this series Counting Down To The Arrival Of Viking Ocean Cruises In The Caribbean for details of what we expect to be a unique cruise travel experience like no other.
- Coming Up: Viking West Indies Explorer, Epic Invasion
- Viking Cruises Caribbean: Island Connected Dining Like Never Before
- Viking Cruises Caribbean: Panoramic Island Hopping\
- Viking Cruises West Indies Explorer Countdown
- Viking Caribbean Shoreside Focus Different, Included
- Thinkable World Of Viking To Meet The Caribbean
- In The Viking Caribbean, No Smuggling Skills Needed, Door Wide Open
- Uniquely Different Viking Ocean Cruises: Specific Features That Caribbean Travel Will Like
- Follow Viking Star In Real Time Satellite View
- Flexibility Enables Surprise Viking Exploration, Again
- Coming To North America: Our Viking Adventure Begins
- Viking Introduces Previously Ignored Caribbean
- Viking Welcome Home: It Can Happen Anywhere
- Exploring Iceland Like Vikings: Thoughtfully
- Vikings Explore Prince Christian Sound, Very Carefully
- Spectacular Travel Moments With Viking Ocean Cruises
- Interesting Viking Tour Brings Global View In Very Simple Terms
- Viking Star Passes Ultimate Cruise Traveler Test
- Viking Caribbean: Something New For Someone New
- Aggressive Repositioning Itinerary Highlights Viking Commitment To Travelers
- Thoughtful Canadian Port Choice Typical Of Viking Destination Focus
- Features Not Part Of The Viking Caribbean Experience
- Viking Star Caribbean Dining: New Cuisine For Cruise Travelers
- Actually, Viking Star Is Designed For Caribbean Cruising
- Incomparable Viking Star
- Viking Star Base Features To Elevate Caribbean Cruise Experience (this post)
Flickr photo albums
- A Day In Reykjavik, Iceland
- Icelandic Air
- In The Steps Of Vikings: Cruising Prince Christian Sound
- Nanortalik, Greenland
- Qaqortoq, Greenland
- Viking Star Penthouse Verandah Staterooms
- Viking Star Ship Shots
- Viking Star At Sea
- Northern Lights
- Viking Star Culinary: Mamsens
- Viking Star Nordic Spa
- Viking Star Living Room Bar
- Viking Star Culinary Sampling
- Viking Star Explorer’s Lounge
- Viking Star Pool Grill
- Viking Star Past Guest Party
- Viking Star Living Room
- Saguenay, Quebec, Canada
- Viking Star Infinity Pool
- Sailing To Canada On Viking Star
- Viking Star Top Deck Spaces
- Viking Star Aquavit Bar
- Viking Star Crew
- Viking Star Main Pool Area
- Greenland From The Deck Of Viking Star
- Viking Documentation
- Al Fresco Seating Areas