Next week, Viking River Cruises will christen a dozen new Viking Longships. Eight Viking Longships will be christened at a ceremony in Amsterdam. Another four of the 2015 Viking Longships will be christened at the shipyard in Rostock, Germany. Today we take a look at the names of those new ships, along with their origin and significance.
Like other vessels in the Viking River Cruises fleet, the 2015 Viking Longships will be christened with names sourced from Norse mythology. Let’s take a look at each of them.
2015 Viking Longships Being Christened in Amsterdam
- Viking Longship Lofn – In Norse mythology, Lofn is a goddess described as gentle in manner and as an arranger of marriages.
- Viking Longship Ve – Vili and Ve are the two brothers of the god Odin, with whom they shared a decisive role in the original shaping of the cosmos.
- Viking Longship Vidar – Vidar is a god associated with vengeance and the son of Odin.
- Viking Longship Gefjon – Gefjon is a goddess associated virginity.
- Viking Longship Modi- Móði and Magni (also a Viking Longship, previously launched) are the sons of Thor. Their names mean “Angry” and “Strong,” respectively.
- Viking Longship Eir – Eir is a goddess associated with medical skill.
- Viking Longship Skirnir – (we will be staying on this ship)- Skírnir is actually not thought of as a god but the god Freyr‘s messenger
- Viking Longship Mani – Máni, also not a god, but the personification of the moon. Some scholars have posited a potential connection between Mani and the notion of the Man in the Moon
2015 Viking Longships Being Christened In Rostock
- Viking Longship Mimir – Mímir a figure in Norse mythology renowned for his knowledge and wisdom. Interestingly, mythology has it that Mimir was beheaded during the Æsir-Vanir War. Afterward, Odin reportedly carried around Mímir’s head which recited secret knowledge and counsel to him.
- Viking Longship Vili – Vili is the other brother of Odin.
- Viking Beyla- Also being christened in the Rostock shipyard, two smaller ships, inspired by the Viking Longships and custom built to sail on the Elbe River- Beyla is one of Freyr’s servants along.
- Viking Astrild- Astrild also a ship inspired by the Viking Longships is an old Nordic name for Amor or Cupid.
Meanwhile, Viking River Cruises has more in store for ships sailing the Rhine river as well. This is all in addition to launching a new ocean cruise line and the first of three ocean cruise ships. It’s a busy time for Viking to be sure. Keeping up with the rapidly expanding Viking empire, we begin on the Elbe river, one of the major rivers of Central Europe.
New Viking Longships Bring New Itineraries
Elegant Elbe 10-Day Cruisetour Featuring Eastern Germany
A 10-day cruisetour with hotel stays in Berlin and Prague, Elegant Elbe is Viking’s only itinerary offering the unique opportunity to sail through eastern Germany. Featuring stops in Magdeburg, Wittenberg and Dresden, this itinerary offers the quintessential blend of urban culture, history and scenic cruising – including sailing past the cliffs of Germany’s “Saxon Switzerland.” Of special interest, the Elegant Elbe itinerary also includes visits to six UNESCO World Heritage sites.
This new itinerary comes on the heels of 2014’s Rivers of Gold in Portugal and Chateax, Rivers and Wine itinerary in France, expanding the Viking empire with a diverse menu of choices that visit interesting places throughout Europe. Still, core itineraries on the Rhine river remain a popular option for cruise travelers and some new offerings are now available.
New Itineraries Along The Rhine River
Viking has two interesting new itineraries this year, both of which showcase scenic treasures along the Rhine River during the springtime.
8-Days- Sailing Between Amsterdam And Frankfurt
Legends of the Rhine – This 8-day journey in April or May sails between Amsterdam and Frankfurt providing a window into some of the historic eras and events that have shaped northern Europe. Cruise through the Middle Rhine Valley, lined with dozens of medieval castles, and take walking tours of castles and cobbled streets. Marvel at the soaring carved interiors and stained-glass windows of Cologne’s iconic Gothic cathedral, and sample the local beers. Stop in Remagen, the site of World War II’s Operation Market Garden, and Nijmegen for a guided visit to the Overloon War and Resistance Museum. Spend a full day enjoying the delightful Golden Age city of Amsterdam, including a canal boat tour.
10 Day CruiseTour Between Paris and Basel
Rhine Rhapsody – On this unique new cruisetour, cruise travelers will spend 10 days in April or May amidst the timeless elegance of Paris and the breathtaking scenery along the Rhine, Main and Moselle Rivers. Take a guided tour of the French capital to see some of its historic locations; then spend some time exploring its neighborhoods, museums and cafés. Scenic cruising takes you to the heart of smaller European towns like Trier, Rüdesheim and Cochem, where there is so much to discover, right through the Rhine Valley, famous for its many riverside castles. Stop in Strasbourg, the perfect marriage of French and German cultures (and cuisines), and explore the market squares of Basel’s charming Old Town area.
Join us live in Amsterdam for all the details of the 2015 Viking Longships Christening.
- Instagram– Follow us on Instagram
- Twitter- Follow the event live on Twitter by following @OrlandoChris, #VikingCruises, #VikingLongships and @VikingRiver as well as our friends @PopularCruising @FromTheDeckChair and others to be announced shortly.
- Pinterest- See our 2015 Viking Longships Christening Pinterest board
- Facebook– Look for Facebook photo albums
- Flickr– See our Flickr feed and enjoy complimentary personal use of all photos with attribution
- Google+– Live posts, photos and more
- Spotify- river cruise-themed music and more