CRUISE THE PLANET
Announced today, Star Clippers will build a new ship with sails, the largest square-rigged ship in the world. With similar features to the vessels of the existing Star Clippers fleet, the fourth ship is the first new-build since the launch of Royal Clipper in July 2000.
Star Clippers Expands
The new vessel, yet to be named, will be the biggest and most ambitious project to date and will be launched in the second half of 2017, carrying 300 passengers, measuring 8,770 tons and powered by more than 6,350 square meters of sails.
We have already built the five-masted full ship Royal Clipper, which is very much influenced by the Preussen. This time, we intend to build a ship inspired by France II, an ambition I have had for a long time. The ship’s rig will be identical to France II and dimensions will be very similar, although we have added various features that will make this the most magnificent passenger sailing ship afloat.”- Mikael Krafft, founder and owner of Star Clippers
In addition to the generous deck space only found on a sailing ship, the new vessel will have three pools, including one that brings sunlight through the ship’s atrium into the elegantly appointed dining room.
Interesting features include:
- A watersports platform in the stern for use when the ship is at anchor and a variety of cabin grades,
- 34 suites with balconies and four luxurious owner’s suites.
- A restaurant in the light-filled atrium will accommodate all passengers for open-seating dining.
- Favorite hallmarks of all Star Clippers ships, such as the cozy library, the bowsprit net and the popular, al fresco Tropical Bar, where evening entertainment takes place.
The Wind Will Fill The Sails
While the ship will have ecologically sound, high-tech engines, it will, like its sisters, rely on wind power and its sails wherever possible.
Technically be a five-masted, square-rigged barque, the new member of the fleet will be a near-replica of the France II, commissioned in 1911 and the largest square rigger ever built. The company’s flagship Royal Clipper which we sailed on is modelled on the legendary German sailing ship Preussen.
Just as the original France II eclipsed Preussen more than a century ago as the world’s largest square rigger, the Star Clippers newbuild will replace its sister, Royal Clipper, as the largest ship of its kind afloat today. Pretty. Darn. Exciting.
See more of our lifetime-quality sailing experience with Star Clippers via these resources:
- A Ship With Sails Brings Memories Full Circle
- Star Clipper Ships Offer Some Distinct Advantages
- Sister Ships Meet In The Caribbean
- A Tour Of Cabrits Dominica Brings A Different Outlook
- Antigua Welcomes Star Clippers, Royally
- Ship With Sails Stops Two Times A Day
- Star Clippers Attention To Detail: On And Off The Ship
- A Day In Terre de Haut Via Royal Clipper
- Unique Features Of The Star Clipper Experience
- Unique Caribbean Islands Visited On A Ship With Sails
Facebook Photo Albums
- Royal Clipper Windward Islands Sailing
- Royal Clipper Cuisine
- Royal Clipper Crew
- Royal Clipper Ports Of Call
Pinterest Photo Boards
Flickr Photo Sets
- Sister Ships
- Royal Clipper Photos By Whitney Owen
- Photo Tender
- Cabrits, Dominica
- St Lucia Via Royal Clipper
- Royal Clipper Crew
- Royal Clipper At Sea
- Royal Clipper Ship Shots
- Star Clippers Master Album
Spotify Sailing Playlists