UP CLOSE WITH HISTORY
Cunard Line‘s Queen Mary 2 Remastered is a 25-day process introducing new designs and guest experiences. Princess and Queens Grills staterooms and restaurants will be redesigned. New dining venues and lounges will open. The only kennels at sea will be expanded. At the completion of the Queen Mary 2 remastering, the ship will resume Cunard Line’s signature Transatlantic Crossing itinerary. Along for the ride on the August 9-16 sailing: Marilyn Monroe.
Cunard Line is no stranger to transporting celebrities across the Atlantic. They have been doing that for decades. After the Queen Mary 2 remastered project has been completed, Cunard will showcase highlights from the world’s largest Marilyn Monroe Collection.
“We are proud to offer our guests this exclusive opportunity to view this one-of-kind collection from the incomparable life of Marilyn Monroe on board our own unrivaled ocean liner, Queen Mary 2.”- Richard Meadows, President, Cunard North America.
Celebrity auction house Julien’s Auctions will be on board with the world’s largest collection of film-worn Monroe costumes. Also included: personal gowns and clothing, jewelry, property owned by Monroe. Featured: original photographs and film posters. The collection is the most substantial archive of professional and personal items Marilyn Monroe that exists today. Still, this is more than an art auction-style event. On the eight-night, crossing sailing from New York, guests will enjoy:
- A daily, rotating exhibition of Marilyn Monroe memorabilia
- Opportunity to bid on items in advance of the auction in November
- Q&A with Julien’s Auctions executives
- Q&A with David Gainsborough-Roberts
- Appearance and photo opportunity with famed Monroe impersonator Suzie Kennedy
The Marilyn Monroe Collection is touring the world before the auction in November. The film worn costumes cover an extensive portion of Marilyn’s acting career. From “Niagara” to “Some Like It Hot,” seven of Marilyn’s most notable films are represented.
Cunard Line Queen Mary 2 Remastered Details
Queen Mary 2 will sail off into the future, a comfortable fit for long time fans. The attention to detail extends past public areas as well. To be added: a lamp post and fire hydrant installed on the area of the ship’s deck reserved for dog walking. It’s a Cunard nod to the line’s British and American canine friends. Also of interest; an underlying current of energized change at Cunard Line.
A summary of Queen Mary 2 Remastered highlights:
- 15 new Single Staterooms
- 30 new Britannia Club Balcony Staterooms
- 10 new Kennels
- Restyling of all suites and staterooms
- Restyling the Grills Dining Experience
- Tea and coffee makers in each stateroom and suite
- Debut: The Verandah dining venue with regional French cooking
- Winter Garden now an elegant, airy gathering venue
- Debut: The Carinthia Lounge, a light fare venue
- Kings Court moves beyond “the buffet” to a chef-manned demo of food journeys