Sailing during November or December holidays can bring an experience sure to not be forgotten anytime soon. Cruise lines embrace holidays, adding bonus onboard programing, religious services, unique holiday menus and more. It’s a popular time to sail, for a number of reasons. No one has to cook but holiday favorite dishes are often found onboard. Arranging time to travel together for families separated by distance on land is easier during holiday times too. Traditionally, holiday cruising is one of the most popular reasons to sail. Cruise lines often fill ships on holiday sailings with little promotion. Still, forward thinking cruise lines stay on top by presenting everything they do for our consideration, seemingly all the time. Obscure holiday sailings are no exception.
Disney Cruise Line, considered the gold bar standard for family cruising by many, has a robust holiday sailing program. Starting in September, Disney Cruise Line brings Halloween-themed parties, entertainment and The Pumpkin Tree which magically transforms throughout the cruise.
Disney Cruise Line Holiday Sailings
Throughout the fall and winter the four Disney ships are all decked out with holiday cheer. In November, Disney Cruise Line begins Very Merrytime Cruises that includes “turkey day” fanfare, Christmas feasts, “snow flurries” and New Year’s Eve galas.
Going in a totally different direction, Viking Cruises closes out each year’s river season with a series of European Christmas Market sailings. Compared to warm weather river cruising on Europe’s Rhine or Danube rivers, Christmas Market sailings bring an entirely different experience. In city centers, cruise travelers find festive markets featuring hand-made gifts and regional holiday cheer. Like stepping into a holiday storybook, the pages come alive as we engage local holiday customs as well as cuisine found only at this time of the year.
The Viking Christmas Markets Experience
A complete holiday experience, Viking Christmas Markets sailings include abundant festive onboard activities. Included tours naturally take on a holiday feel when Viking explorers tour the cities and towns often referred to in our North American-based imaginations. It’s a magical time that not even Disney could create on their own, forged by hundreds of years of tradition which seemingly evolves at every bend of the river. New this year, the Viking Holiday experience extends past rivers and into the ocean.
Christmas In The Mediterranean is a 15-day Mediterranean Christmas cruise on new 930-guest Viking Sea with overnight stays in Venice, Malta and Barcelona.
From Venice, Viking guests will explore Splît and Dubrovnik Croatia before a visit to Grecian Corfu and medieval Malta. The 15-day warmer climate Mediterranean sailing also stops in Naples, Rome and Tuscany before experiencing elegant Monte Carlo and Toulon. This year, Christmas Day happens at sea before the sailing ends in Barcelona.
Viking Sea Christmas In The Mediterranean
Holiday sailings are not limited to just these two cruise lines either as other lines continue to sail during the holidays. Some do more for holidays than others. Princess Cruises, for example, also has a great amount of holiday programming on board.
See More About Obscure Holiday Sailings
Learn More About Viking River Cruises Christmas Markets Sailings
Admittedly a big fan of Viking River Cruises Christmas Markets sailings, we have an extensive library of information collected on two of the same. Check content from our Christmas Markets Sailings with Viking River Cruises
- A Viking Christmas Begins
- A Viking Christmas: Touring Passau
- A Viking Christmas: Gingerbread and Wreath Making In Germany
- A Viking Christmas: The Hills
- A Viking Christmas: Touring Two Salzburgs
- A Viking Christmas: The Holiday Market Of Salzburg
- A Viking Christmas: Your Questions Answered
- A Viking Christmas: Vienna Christmas Market
- Ten Of My Favorite Things About Our Viking Christmas Markets Cruise
- A Viking Christmas: Budapest City Tour Exemplifies The Viking Experience
- A Viking Christmas- Visiting Matthias Church In Budapest
- Music, Cuisine Actually A Big Part Of The Viking River Cruise Experience
- Happy Holidays! (A Viking Christmas Photo Gallery)
- Unique Culinary Events Highlight Viking Cruise Experience
- Accuracy Check: Viking Christmas Markets Video Vs. Reality
Facebook Photo Albums-
- Viking Christmas: Passau
- Holiday Passau Tour With Viking River Cruises
- Gingerbread And Wreath Making In Passau, Germany
- The Austrian Countryside
- A Holiday Tour Of Salzburg
- The Holiday Markets Of Salzburg
- Your Viking River Cruise Questions, Answered
- Vienna Christmas Market
- Budapest Christmas Tour
- Matthias Church- Budapest
- Culinary Experiences On Our Viking River Cruise
CruiseAddicts Viking Christmas Review- Inside Cruise Vacations With Chris Owen
- Part 1- Passau
- Part 2- Touring Passsau and Gingerbread Making
- Part 3- Salzburg, Austria
- Part 4- Reader Questions
- Part 5- Vienna
- Part 6- My Favorite Things
Spotify Viking Christmas Cruise Playlists-
Flickr Photo Sets-