While day one of our two-day stay in Amsterdam was spent leisurely walking a self-guided tour of the city powered by the Azamara Club Cruises smartphone app, day two brought a bit more focus. Wanting to be sure we visited a number of the many museums in Amsterdam, we started by visiting Vincent Van Gogh.
The Van Gogh museum is in a part of town heavily populated by venues of that sort, all highlighted on the AFAR-charged Azamara Club Cruises app. Photos? Not allowed but we managed to click off a few before being informed (caught) by museum guards.
Interestingly, while one might expect to see an abundant amount of security at the world-class museum, Van Gogh and related artist works are in open display with nothing between visitors and the canvas.
The Heineken Museum is also a popular choice. Technically the “Heineken Experience”, the venue is a former brewery where visitors get a full history of the brand as well as the process of brewing it and how it has changed over the years.
A popular choice for us, visiting sidewalk cafes as we do in every port possible, just to drink in the local flavor of the place. What we actually have to drink or eat; secondary to the people watching opportunities.
That Azamara Quest is in Amsterdam for two days is yet another example of how the destination-focused cruise line values our experience at the places they visit above many other considerations.
I have been to Amsterdam a number of times with a variety of cruise lines over the years. I can’t recall a more enriching, pleasurable or memorable experience ever, largely due to being in the city for multiple days. Further qualifying the experience, our visit occurred when the Sail Amsterdam event had filled the harbor with hundreds of small ships, few of which we would get close enough to see.
That Sail Amsterdam happens once every five years was no surprise. That we could not get close to the event from our docking position in Amsterdam indeed was. Prior to sailing, we had visions of Azamara Quest being docked in the center of it all, surrounded by sailing ships in all directions. This was not something Azamara promised, even though the Sail Amsterdam event was listed as a highlight of our itinerary.
Instead, our second day of exploring Amsterdam on our own brought even more interesting scenes as we connected with the destination in a way only possible because we had the time.
Here are some scenes from our second day in Amsterdam, scroll down for more on our time in Amsterdam via Pinterest and Facebook.
Just joining us? Catch up here, a number of ways:
Individual Day Posts During Sailing– day by day, in the order written
- Travel Day Before Our Azamara Cruise
- Getting Off On An Even Better Foot
- An Azamara Tour Of Stockholm
- A Day In Helsinki
- First Impressions Of Russia: No Surprises, Plenty Of Intrigue
- Second Impressions of Russia: Azamazing
- Connecting, Russia And Chocolate Bars
- A Lovely Day In Estonia With Azamara Club Cruises
- The Icing On The Destination Cake
- Amsterdam with Azamara, AFAR
Pinterest Photo Boards – one for each port and more
- We Stayed Longer In Tallinn, Estonia
- St. Petersburg Russia At Night
- St Petersburg On A Wonderful, Sunny Day
- St Petersburg First Impressions: About What We Expected Actually
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Azamara Quest Culinary
- Helsinki, Finland
- Azamara Quest In The Baltics
- A Glimpse Of Tallinn, Estonia
- Tallinn Estonia Album
- Azamara Quest Bridge Tour
- Azamara Quest White Night
- Amsterdam, Day One guided by the Azamara smarphone app
Flickr Photo Albums- all our photos for each place, free to use- check back frequently; we are adding more photos throughout the journey.
- Two Days In Stockholm
- Stockholm Arlanda Airport
- Azamara Quest Culinary Creations
- Scenic Cruising From Stockholm
- Azamara Quest Laundry Room
- Baltic Sunsets Seen From The Deck Of Azamara Quest
- St Petersburg, Russia: As We Imagined It
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Copenhagen Walking Tour With Canal Cruise
- White Night On Azamara Quest
- A Tour Of The Navigational Bridge On Azamara Quest
- Seen At Sea On Our Azamara Quest Cruise
Facebook Photo Albums
- Overnight Brings Early Morning In Stockholm
- Two Days In St Petersburg, Russia
- Copenhagen, Denmark On A Walking Tour
- A Walk Around Helsinki
- Amsterdam, Guided By The Azamara Smarphone App
- Amsterdam On Our Own
Check These Social Sources Too
- TWITTER- On Twitter follow @OrlandoChris and the tag #LoveTravel – we’re tweeting a different photo from our journey every 30 minutes during our sailing. Look at :15 and :30 past the hour
- INSTAGRAM- On Instagram follow ChrisCruises
- TUMBLR- Tumblr also follow ChrisCruises