Sailing full with just 212-passengers, Windstar Cruises’ Star Pride represents a small ship sailing experience that is inappropriate to compare to that of larger vessels. Embarkation is quick. Passengers barely stop walking between arriving at the port and being in staterooms. That’s a huge win on a big ship where an army of embarkation staff handle the process with military precision. Still, throw a minute delay into that meticulous process and it all comes a crumblin’ down.
Travel time from our hotel in Panama City to the Port of Colon was said to be right at an hour. Windstar embarkation begins at 1:00pm. Starting that process at 12:45, I did the mental math “so we get there at 1:45. Staterooms may or may not be ready; who knows? Projected optimal outcome: I’m in my cabin by 2:30, go grab lunch, tour ship”
Actual experience: approximate one hour transfer time included the Windstar embarkation process. 68 minutes after we left Panama City, I was in my stateroom on Star Pride. It’s one of the advantages of small ship sailing in general. On this particular sailing? Windstar embarkation procedures nailed it.
If you’re just joining us, now is a good time to catch up with some background:
Live Event Pre Cruise Posts
- One Solid Reason To Try Windstar Cruises And I Know Literally Nothing About Them
- Windstar Presidents Cruise Brings Unique Panama Canal, Costa Rica Adventure
- The Ships Of Windstar Cruises: A Brief Introduction
- Unique Windstar Panama Promises A Number Of Firsts
- James Beard Windstar Partnership: How To Change The Game
Follow Along Live As We Sail
- Instagram– Capturing experience-defining moments as they happen
- Twitter – A wide variety of detail throughout the experience
- Facebook– Captioned photos each day. An easy way to follow along on our voyage
- Facebook Photo Albums- Posted as we travel, Facebook Photo Albums for each event and place along the way as well as the overall Windstar Cruises Experience.
- Google+ – Easy-to-find links to all our posts
- Flickr Photostream– Unfiltered photos as they are captured along the way
- Flickr Photo Albums– Unfiltered photos as they are captured, organized by destination and/or events